It's applesauce season!!!!!!!
Right now, I'm enjoying a large, warm bowl of my favorite recipe. I *think* I started from a Better Homes and Garden recipe, but then sort of made it my own.
Several friends have asked for the recipe, and I don't mind sharing ... but I sort of cook ... by throwing things into the crock pot. I'll *try* to give actual measurements, but honestly .... it's really tossing things into the mix.
So ... if you like things sweeter, just add more sugar. If not, subtract it.
Karen's Applesauce:
1 bag of Gala apples (8-13 apples ... depending on size)
1 stick of cinnamon
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 c. sugar
2 tsp. nutmeg
Cut apples in half. Peel apples using the most amazing peeler ever .
Slice apples, then cut the core part out, and chop them into pieces.
Throw them into the slow cooker with cinnamon, brown sugar, sugar and nutmeg ... until it's done. I never really time it. I just run errands, work on photos ... whatever until all the apples are soft.
Once the apples are soft, you should only need to stir them ... and viola! You have Karen's most favorite applesauce EVER! If you like, you can use a potato masher, but often the apples are soft enough to just stir into cinnamon-nutmeggy goodness. :-)
I've made this recipe twice in the last week ... I simply *adore* it — besides, it helps my sore throat feel better.
3 comments:
Ummm ... You forgot about the step when your husband chops up the apples and tosses them in the slow cooker ... Just a little clarification ;-)
Thank you Erik for the clarification...that seems vital to the success of the recipe.
It's down into the 60's at night here in FL now...so time to bring out the coats and HOT APPLESAUCE!!! YAY!!!
I dreamed about this recipe for hours one night, which was weird. I'll have Joe get to chopping ;)
Post a Comment