Growing up, I always did things "because you're Catholic." I didn't mind or think much of it. I just got the impression other faith denominations didn't really observe the liturgical seasons as we Catholics did. Especially Lent.
In high school, I had non-Catholic friends, but they didn't observe Lent in any way.
When I was in college, I had a college roomie who observed the practice of giving something up for Lent. She wasn't Catholic and I have to admit I was confused. But I liked it. Along life's path, I've met other friends who are not Catholic, but also give things up for Lent. Just today, I was talking with someone who is not particularly religious, but gives something up for Lent.
SO interesting.
Somehow, I thought only Catholics did this. Not in a "we're better than them" way. But perhaps because Catholics are "more strict" in some regards.
Boy howdy was I wrong!
I guess I wish somewhere along the way someone would have TOLD me that other Christians observe Lent. Not all of them, but other denominations give up things they enjoy for Lent, too. Seriously, how could is it possible that I've lived for more than a quarter of a century and NOT known this???
2 comments:
Like other denominations give it up as part of a practice of their faith? Like, I usually give up something for Lent, but usually not for the same reasons. I wasn't strong in my faith until college, but I've "given up" stuff before for the heck of it. This year I'm giving up sweets because I tend to emotionally eat sometimes, instead of turning to God for comfort. And then there's the whole.. diabetic thing going on. You know... for like, the last 16 years :P hahaha.
I just wish someone would have TOLD me ... I feel soooooo foolish ... if that makes sense....
Post a Comment