Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Arizona IV

On our way to see the San Xavier Mission near Tucson, we passed an Indian cemetery. What fascinated me were the iron crosses. Living in Ellis County, there are plenty of these to be found in the cemeteries in the area. (For anyone interested, I can take you on my back roads of Ellis County tour and throw in a few cemeteries for good measure. It's a good tour, just ask Erik. I gave it to him a day before I was diagnosed with mono. I gave directions while lying flat on my back in the passenger seat of his car). :)

Anyhow, the crosses at the reservation cemetery were way more colorful and visually interesting:



The San Xavier Mission near Tucson (oh, and it's pronounced like "Javier" ... FYI).


Also FYI, all of these photos were taken with my point and shoot camera. It's the eye and ability, not the fancy camera, people! :)


Evidently a LOT of restoration was done on the left side, the right side is awaiting renovation and a little TLC.





I was digging these little decorative holes in the wall ...


... so of course I made Erik go make an interesting picture for me. :)


I didn't see it until just now, but Erik is framed in the center one, and there's a headless statue on the right side of Erik, framed in the next opening .... creepy.


There was a courtyard with the Stations of the Cross built into the walls. Really nice. And interesting.


A nice pictoral.


And another.


Erik and I in front (notice how I'm wearing my WINTER coat in SOUTHERN Atizona!!!!) ;)


I'm not looking ultra-fab here. I think I had a bit of an ear issue going on that day. We didn't stay around too long because I was feeling rotten. Maybe it was a combo of the ear and the cold weather?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay, you spelled Tucson correctly this time! ;-)
I thought the mission was very cool when I visited there. I actually have a print of a watercolor of it on my kitchen wall.
They were doing restoration work on the interior at that time, which was really interesting to watch the craftsmen doing their work.
Sorry the weather wasn't nicer.

Stacey said...

It's been awhile since I've been there, but it was nice to see your pictures of the place again!