Saturday, February 13, 2010

Additional info about composting and the like ...

I have an addition to THIS post on composting.

I was in downtown Salina this week and came across a flier that's trying to raise awareness about environmental issues. This is interesting: 14% of the Salina landfill is filled with food waste. Click on the above link to see all about composting ... it's another way to rid yourself of food scraps. BUT, be sure to NOT put meat in your compost, or you'll have the neighborhood dogs and coons in it.

It also compares water usage of Salina residents to that of Hays residents. Now, THIS is extremely interesting. In Hays, residents use an average of 89/gal/person/day. Any guesses for Salina?????

124. An average person in Salina uses 124 gal/person/day. When I first moved here, I suggested to the Salina city commission that they make water reduction a priority. In Hays, the city puts aside $1,000/year toward washer rebates. Yes, that's right. If you buy a high-efficency washer, the city will give you $100 towards its purchase. I believe they also take your old shower head and will give you a low-flow shower head gratis.

One of the most frustrating things about living in Salina is how wasteful people are with their water. I just cringe during the summer months. Maybe that's why I work so hard to use my rain barrels. I suppose I hope that my excessive collection and not using water will make up for the extra water that others are using.

No comments: