Saturday, February 28, 2009

Working on the 101 list — Creamy Potato Soup

Since it's Lent, it's back to meatless Fridays. So, I gobbled up tons of recipes, but the trouble was MANY potato soup recipes call for chicken broth or chicken bullion. I've heard both ways on whether or not they're OK during Lent, so I figured better safe than sorry, right? So I just took portions of many recipes and made my own. The recipe below is how I'm going to make it next time (I learned a LOT during this test time).


This is an original recipe, folks!

Ingredients:
1 can condensed cream of celery soup (plus 1 can of milk to mix in)
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (plus 1 can of milk to mix in)
1 head of cauliflower
6 mediu potatoes
6 celery stalks
1 medium onion
3 Tbsp butter
1 pkg (12 oz) shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer sharp cheese myself)
salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:
1. Start by scrubbing and cutting potatoes into bite-sized cubes. Fill pot with water & a pinch of salt, boil potato bits.

2. Cut cauliflower, steam. Once it's steamed, puree (in a blender works well). You might want to add a little water here to help it puree.

3. Chop celery and onion. In a large pot, saute onion and celery in the butter. Once soft, stir in cream of celery and cream of mushroom soup + milk. warm, but do not bring to a boil.

4. Once the potatoes are softened, drain water, slightly mash potatoes.

5. Add pureed cauliflower and slightly mashed potatoes to the large pot, stir together.

6. Let cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.

7. Stir in bag of shredded cheese.

8. Serve, garnish with additional cheese, if desired.

Ok, some of you might think "what the heck is cauliflower doing in the soup" ... well, I don't get enough veggies, and since they don't add taste, I figured what the heck??? :-)

I also have to give a BIG shout out to Erik. When I was making this soup last night, I didn't cook the potatoes separately, and the soup was a bit scorched ... it wasn't bad, but there's also a LOT of it ... so there's plenty more soup to be eating.

Of course, here's the list of the new recipes I've tried so far:
Dec. 21 — Peanut Butter Pancakes
Dec. 31 — Calzones
Jan. 9 — Braised Brussell Sprouts + Pork Chops with a creamy herbed sauce
Jan. 14 — Black Bean Burritos
Jan. 18 — Hot Chocolate Mix
Jan. 29 — Ham and Bean Soup
Feb. 1 — Macaroni Salad
Feb. 14 — Focaccia Bread
Feb. 17 — Honey Glazed Chicken

3 comments:

Monica said...

FYI, I guess they make a vegetable broth. You could probably sub that for chicken broth. My hubby and I had a similar discussion Friday evening, about a can of Pork-n-Beans.

Anonymous said...

Karen,

As your resident theologian, I thought I should advise that, yes, you are actually allowed to partake of animal products-- such as broth, bullion, and gravy. However, we are still to remember the spirit of the law and how Lent is not about "what we can get away with" ;) Although, I KNOW I have that attitude all the time!

Love you,
Sarah

Unknown said...

Thanks, Sarah! I thought you'd said that about broth before ... but somehow ... it just seemed a bit like cheating. Ya know?