
Last week, I was watching the Duggars go to El Salvador. The photos from this post are from my trip to Africa. And for being in a third world country, I didn't see NEARLY the trash that I did in Niger. Maybe they avoided it?

It's hard to watch and NOT have an opinion. I know, when have I ever lacked for an opinion? ;-) I'm NO expert ... but it's difficult to watch groups just hand out aid.
I'm NOT saying aid isn't needed. It IS ... but after the awesome tour guide I had in Africa ... who stressed how aid is needed, but it has to be coupled with revitalization efforts. It's good to hand out food, but what about working with residents to help work and cultivate their own gardens or fields? Agricultural supplies are needed, too!
Education and good skills are ESSENTIAL! If girls learn life skills, they will have other OPTIONS rather than turning to the streets to make money.
I'm happy I met Catholic Relief Service early on in life. They have revitalization efforts going on all over the world. But here's my favorite part about them: They just meet the needs of the people. Yes, they ARE a religious-based organization, but they do not preach. They just practice it. Heck, a few years ago, Time magazine lauded the organization for just that.
I'm also wishing I could remember the name of the religious brothers I met in Africa. In the slang, they're referred to as "The White Brothers" ... but try Googling "white brothers" and see what kind of sites YOU come up with. ;-)~ If I recall the name, I'll be sure to drop it by the blog.
2 comments:
They weren't Dominicans were they? My hubby's uncle is a Dominican priest (and wears white) and I know he's spent time in Kenya. I could be way off, just a thought.
Very interesting post, I like what you have to say. Didn't realize you've traveled so extensively.
Dominicans sound familiar. I'll have to go back thru my photos and see.
Post a Comment