Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Working on the 101 list — Black Bean Burritos

Ooooook. New meal time.

The other day, we grabbed a bag of black beans at the store. I've NEVER cooked with them before and had to come home and read up on them and how to work with/prepare them. What an education!

So, this wasn't a full recipe ... I combined THIS recipe with THIS recipe.

I soaked the beans over night, then cooked them for 2.5-ish hours, drained and mashed them and tossed in some chili powder. Then I added cooked onions. I warmed tortillas and then we put the mashed beans on the tortillas and topped them with cheese. Erik even added some brown rice in his burritos. :-)

Next time, I need to come up with some more spices or something ... it seemed a bit bland ... but we'll see what happens.

Of course, here's the list of the new recipes I've tried so far:
Dec. 21 — Peanut Butter Pancakes
Dec. 31 — Calzones
Jan. 9 — Braised Brussell Sprouts + Pork Chops with a creamy herbed sauce
Jan. 14 — Black Bean Burritos

7 comments:

Monica said...

Black beans are great!! I have recently been using them for quesadillas for my one-year-old. Good stuff, and they're very healthy too! Cheers!

Unknown said...

yeah. AND they filled me up and kept me from getting the munchies too bad late at night. :-)

pianomanda said...

We love black beans too! They're great in chili :)

The Ahlgrens said...

LOVE black beans...sometime, try them over a baked sweet potatoe...super healthy and YUMMY. Sour cream - optional.

Also, try hittin' those mashed black beans with: garlic, corn, and or potatoes. Half of Jeremey's fam. is Mexican...

The Ahlgrens said...

I can't believe I pulled an Al Gore on that last comment: potatoE??? Oops!

erik bonar said...

LOL ... That's hilarious, Jos, but it was Dan Quayle that misspelled potato ... Al Gore invented the internet ;-)

Unknown said...

And Bill Curtis DISCOVERED the internet. ;-)

Is it really true Jos and E haven't met? Sheesh. I know our husbands would hit it off, Jos. We need to schedule a "play date" for them. ;-)