Saturday, March 7, 2009

Washington D.C. — Newseum


YAY!!!!!!! this was the BIG thing I wanted to do in DC. Yup, I'm a NEWS NERD!!!! :)


But when I saw the Newseum was close to where we would be, I totally INSISTED on going inside.


It was exciting to see the "today's front pages" feature out front. It's interesting to see how different papers across the country display the news in different ways.


This is a powerful visual. All of the green is countries who have freedom of the press. Yellow has semi-freedom. Red has no freedom of the press. It was incredibly powerful to stand back and look at this wall ... and all I could think was how lucky/blessed we are to have the freedom we have.


There are plenty of awesome journalism quotes ... here are a few (but my favorite remains "if your mother says she loves you, check it out."):






And this editorial cartoon cracked me UP!


With the promise of a dog for the Obama girls, there was an entire gallery of presidential pooches. :)


And here's the view from the top of the Newseum. Totally WORTH the price of admission. Oh, and for all of you journalists, you get a little b it of a break on the admission price for being under-paid in a thankless job. Did you ever think there'd be a perk for being a journalist? :)


And there was some displays on those who put their way in the way of possible harm to bring the news around the world.


Last one today is for my sister:

3 comments:

Erin said...

That place looks awesome! And I am not even a news nerd ;)

Unknown said...

It was totally awesome!!!!

I think it's important even for people who don't cover the news to know how/why it's covered ....

Monica said...

Oh my goodness, the Newseum. I totally forgot about that place, but I've been there. I have always been a bit of a news nerd, even though I'm not in the industry, and I just thought that place was the coolest. It had been so long though, I don't think I'd have remembered being there had I not seen the pics. Thanks for sharing!