Saturday, March 28, 2009

In the news

For Erik's paper, we're highlighting the stories we read and where we stop reading them. Management wants to know ... whatever. In truth, it's creating a bit of a false positive from me. If I read the paper, it's usually a few days later ... and maybe one or two stories. But give me a highlighter and tell me to mark it up? I pushed through 6+ inches of snow on the porch this morning to retrieve the paper. Go figure!

So .... headlines that caught my attention this morning.

1. Jury finds George Tiller not gilty
(CLICK HERE to read the story)

REALLY??????? I was shocked. Especially after earlier this week he said "When she was working for me - correction, when she was providing consultations for the patient ..." in THIS article (the trial was over if his "second opinion" doctor was an employee or not). I thought after that slip, it was all over. Evidently not.


2. Kathleen Sebelius signs Kansas right to know abortion bill
(CLICK HERE to read the story)

I have to admit I was a little surprised, but not really. She's trying to get confirmed to a cabinet seat.


3. Law cuts cell use by teen drivers
(CLICK HERE to read the story)

I'm not sure if I feel safer or not .... what about passengers in the car? Oh well, I guess I'm not a teen anymore (thank God!). I'll be interested to see how this 'hands free' device while driving thing goes. It was in effect when we were in California ... but that's not to say we stuck to it. But I'm told they DO ticket people for it.


These next two are for Erik:
4. Kansas falls late to Spartans
(CLICK HERE to read the story)

Thank GOODNESS! KU was really messing up my bracket. (ok, not really. I just don't like them and their 'we're God's gift to basketball and we're entitled to win b/c we did last year' attitude).


5. Mizzou battles UConn for right to move to Final Four
(CLICK HERE to read the story)

A surprising event, but Erik's excited nonetheless. If they win tonight, maybe he'll go outside and roll around in the snow shirtless. Or not ...

3 comments:

JunO said...

So why does management want this? And is it just employees and their families doing it? That would be strange, because people who work for a newspaper probably read more of it (when they do read it outside the job) than "civilians."

I still think former HDN publisher Kay Berensen had a good idea with her readers' committee. Ordinary folks who met with her once in a while (every month? or maybe every other month?) and gave feedback.

Unknown said...

Was "gilty" really misspelled in the headline?

Unknown said...

Who knows, Juno. I think it's just employees.

Doug .... go figure you'd copy edit. Sheesh.