Monday, March 23, 2009

How much is too much?

A few weeks ago, I went on a road trip with my dad. We headed up to Champaign, Illinois to visit Paul in college (he's on the fast track, and like his 2 older sisters, is slated to graduate in 3.5 calendar years!).

On the way back, dad was commenting about how comfortable people "of a certain age" and below seem to be with posting personal info on the web. Hmm......interesting. He used Facebook, Twitter and blogs for an example.

It's true .... some people I know post on their blog when they'll be out of town/etc. And I have to say that does make me nervous. I generally write posts in advance, and then have them "scheduled" to post in the future (if you want to do this, click post options directly below your post as you compose). That way, it looks like I'm still around even if I am not. But ... I would NEVER feel comfortable advertising on my blog that I'd be gone for xxxx or Erik is out of town for yyyy. Um .... no.

But ... what about other things? Facebook? I have to admit, most of the "friends" I have on there are photographers who know someone I know and so they "friend" me. I'm comfortable w/ that, but ... the conspiracy side of me says "you never know..." Same goes for Twitter. Right?

So, blog readers ... what do YOU think? Do we post too much out there? Are we at risk for exposing too much of ourselves? Have you ever NOT posted something b/c you were concerned? (note: I've purposely NOT posted some medical stuff here ... because if we ever have to self-insure in the future, I don't want to give people an excuse to tell me NO ... does that make me paranoid?).

Comment below!

4 comments:

tlawwife said...

Yes I think people post too much. I have often not posted something that I thought might be offensive to someone who reads or information that I don't want a specific person to know. I'm sure that sometimes I post things that I shouldn't as far as the being gone thing but I don't worry as much about that because of where I live. I probably should. I don't post a lot about where I live but it can be found out.

It worries me about what kids post and that they believe everything that other people post.

Unknown said...

All so interesting ....

Monica said...

I am pretty cautious, especially about if we're going to be gone, or if Aaron's working late or something, I am always very vague as to where we live also. Just a healthy dose of caution is good, I think it's just common sense. In this day and age you can never be too careful.

And thanx for the tip on scheduling posts. Didn't know that...very cool

pianomanda said...

There are definitely people who post way too much... and I'm sure that I've fallen into that category a time or two... but journal blogs drive me crazy.

The reason I created our blog was to let our out-of-town family and friends "grow" with our kiddos by pictures and videos, so I usually try to keep the commentary minimal. And I am still paranoid (even though I've got the "search options" blocked and etc) and made the thing password protected. I'm just not comfy with anyone and their dog being able to view those precious little tidbits of our life. Yet I'm still vague about our location!