Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wife beater


Check out my leg .... or the back of my left leg, more specifically.

Erik? A wife beater?

APRIL FOOLS!

Ok, just foolin' about being beat. :) Not fooling about that ugly bruise. :( (Erik thinks it looks like doppler the radar of a storm).

How did I get it? Well, sit down because you wont' believe this. Or those of you who know me well might actually believe it.

Last week, I wanted to get the sun tea jar off the very top of the cabinets. It was pushed back into the corner, so I couldn't get it by just reaching. No problem, I've climbed on the counter 100 times, so this should be cake. Right? Um, not so much. :(

The counter was a little slick, and so I slipped off, scraping the entire back of my thigh on the way down. :(

I have to say I'm really self-conscious about it. I wore long pants to the Y the one time I went last week. Monday, I worked up the courage to wear shorts ... but just don't want people to think my hubby beats me. One of my college roomies had a similar situation. She fell into a table in the middle of the night, landing a black eye. She said she got a LOT of looks. The heck of it is she's all buff and muscly, so it's silly to think her hubby could actually injure her in that way.

But, this isn't the first time I've received a bruise and had people think ill of my domestic partner. A few months ago, whilst removing tree branches (that's a post for another day!), I got a big, bad bruise on my right bicep. AND almost 2 years ago while cleaning out the trunk of my car, a BIG gust of wind came along and smashed the lid on the middle of my back. :( There was a really ugly bruise then, too. Today's lesson: Karen bruises easily ...

Oh well .... the bruise is slowly going away .... and I learned my lesson. I now get a chair or stool when I need something off the top of the cabinets.

5 comments:

pianomanda said...

OUCH!!! That looks like it really hurts!! Good grief!

I think we know Erik well enough that we know better. Good try on the joke, though. :)

And that pic is up for you, finally!

JunO said...

I think I see a hook echo on the one on the right. Take cover!

Seriously, ouch. Maybe for times like this, you should get a T-shirt that says "No, I'm just a klutz."

Unknown said...

Yeah, I think I need a shirt that admits my klutziness. :)

Monica said...

A few weeks before our wedding I fell partially thru the grate on my future in-laws' window well. Got stuck about thigh level and was bruised all the way up the back of my leg. Thank goodness for a long wedding dress, that one took awhile to heal. :)

Unknown said...

OH! Monica, you win a prize for falling through a window well grate! Ouch!!!!! And before your wedding? Thank goodness nothing was visible!