Thursday, November 18, 2010

Roasting a chicken

I expanded my horizons this week. I roasted a chicken.

Once before I purchased a whole chicken, but I put it in the slow cooker, and it sort of fell apart and was a big, fat mess.

But I found THIS RECIPE and thought I'd give it a whirl.

Now, let me say a few things:

1) it was WAY easy to follow!
2) I had all of the ingredients (except for the chicken) around the house. I like a recipe where it doesn't call for anything fancy
3) it smelled AMAZING in the oven
4) shoving a lemon into a chicken is NOT as easy as it sounds.
5) I only seasoned with salt and pepper, but the skin was OH SO DARN GOOD!!!!

Let me also say IT MADE A DARN MESS OUT OF MY OVEN. Seriously, love this recipe. Hate what it does to the oven. Oh, it's a total disaster.

Erik asked if covering it in foil would solve the issue ... and the short answer is that I don't know. The skin needs to brown/crisp, but people out there, would it solve my messy oven situation?

The day after roasting it, I made chicken broth the old fashioned way, and it was surprisingly easy! So yesterday we had Amanda's amazing chicken rice soup for dinner. :)

1 comment:

JunO said...

I've been really tempted to try roasting a chicken myself, too, but a friend recently pointed out to me Dillons has them (already roasted) for $5. Maybe I'd feel it was worth it if I was cooking for more than just me.

And if it makes that much of a mess in the oven ...