Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Our "big sister"

Last night, I made THIS RECIPE (using jelly in place of Nutella), then called up my sister and said "I just tried one of Melissa's recipes and it's AMAZING!!!"

Who is Melissa?

I think of her as our surrogate big sis: Friendly, approachable, kitchen goddess. I even showed Dad how to make Melissa's grilled corn on Labor Day. See, she's part of the family.


When I left home for college, I don't really think I thought much about cooking. How much I enjoy it has been a large surprise for me. But I do. I like throwing things together and seeing what happens. I don't know if I'd go as far to say that food is an artistic expression for me, but I see how it could be.

But back to Mel (I can call her that because, after all, she IS our "big sis"!). We "met" a year or so ago. One Sunday afternoon, Erik and I were flipping through channels and ran across the marathon of all episodes leading up to the season finale (for the record, this is my favorite way to watch a show/series). We were excited when she won, and I DVR her show so I can watch it when I have time.

What I really like is her practical approach to cooking. Nothing too fancy. Well, for ingredients, I mean. The dishes seem fancy when you put it all together, but the ingredients are things I keep around.

A few weeks ago when I saw her made the pastry recipe (first link on the top of this post), I freaked out. Because it's a recipe of hers that I can actually make and EAT. It's SOOOO easy! Butter + cream cheese + flour. That's the pastry. And let me tell you .... it's heaven. The cream cheese makes it so tasty!

See, because we're family, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Mel. I love her approachability and charm. I hate that she uses red wine vinegar and sugar with a high degree of regularity in her recipes. And sugar includes using bacon to add flavor to a dish b/c it's cured in sugar, so it's off limits for the likes of me.

So Mel, big sis, let's have some recipes that are more digestive friendly!!!!!

No comments: