Friday, March 25, 2011

Milestone birthday(s)

In a few months, I'll hit the big 3-0 mark on my birthday-ometer.

Some people approach "milestone" birthdays with a sense of trepidation or angst, but honestly, it's not freaking me out (maybe it should?). A good handful of my friends turned 30 in the last calendar year and there were lots of surprise parties. I told Erik under no circumstance should something as such go on for me. It'll be close to the end of a marathon of weddings, and there's no telling how presentable for general consumption I might be. ;)

Rewind 10 years and if I wrote any prediction down, I am decidedly NOT where I thought I'd be professionally, I thought I'd have been married longer and I didn't think my little sis would pop out a kid before me. In the big picture, however, I know I am EXACTLY where I'm meant to be. So it'd be silly to lament where I "could have been" or that I have "fallen short" of any expectation. My path is so different than I expected, there is really no comparison!

Honestly, since November, when people ask, I'm more prone to say 30 than 29. Not that I'm chomping on the bit. Mostly because when I'm at the gym, looking at the exercise exertion chart, there's not an option for 25 or even 29. It's 30. Which is how I gauge my heart rate. No big deal, really.

But fear not, we will celebrate! Later in the month of my birth. We'll have a social with family, friends and you friends can bring the kids along. It'll be good times, I promise. :)

Sort of a rambly post, but in conclusion, if you're not precisely where you thought you'd be, SO WHAT? Life is rich. Reach out and enjoy it!

Happy Friday.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I turn 30 in September and I do not fear 30. I still *feel* young (um, most days) and that is what counts, right? Baby 5 will arrive shortly before my 30th, which is not exactly what I was figuring on, but life is unexpected sometimes, right?