This food adjustment has been interesting. And part of it is to minimize leftovers (lucky I'm married to Erik, who is the leftover eating machine!). But some leftovers are just plain HANDY. Take, for example, chicken broth. I love to use it in soups and to make couscous.
Previously, I'd been freezing it in about 1-cup increments, but I don't always NEED that much. Especially when making couscous. My solution? ICE CUBE TRAYS!!!! :)
I put the broth in the 'fridge, skimmed off the fat, then put it into the trays and froze it. Now I have a few dozen broth cubes in the freezer, and they're mighty easy to use! Just pop 2 into a pot, melt, add 1/2 cup of water + couscous and we have a Karen-sized portion.
I gotta admit, I feel awfully smart about this one.
My mom's friend tells me the metal trays are way better to use for this, but I don't have any. But I'll be keeping an eye out. :)
Any crazy-smart shortcuts in your kitchen you care to share?
No comments:
Post a Comment