Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pork Stew

I was reading my trusty Better Homes and Gardens magazine and came across THIS recipe for Green Chili Pork Stew. It sounded interesting and I could have all of the ingredients, so off we went!

I scoured the store for the frozen yellow carrots/spinach/bean garlic sauce combo (that's the recipe from the magazine, the online version seems to have cut off the last few words of it). Couldn't find them. So it was improvise time. I got a few packages of frozen chopped spinach, carrots and cans of white beans.

Made the soup and it was FLAVORFUL! Really tasty. I'd make a few tweaks on my recipe (because I couldn't find the exact ingredient I needed). Oh, also the can of diced green chiles ... you can find that in the Mexican food/ingredient aisle. I had to ask a store employee and we eventually found the chiles. But not the frozen veggie medley for the recipe.

Ok, so my take:

1 lb pork.
salt/pepper to taste
olive oil

2-3 packages frozen carrots
1 package baby spinach, stems trimmed off (on my try last night, I used frozen chopped spinach, which resulted in a very green colored soup. Think: pea soup .... I wonder if using whole leaves would make it less so? Next time I try, I'll update you!).
4 cans white beans (On this, I'd actually use about 1.5 cups dry beans, soak overnight and cook them. It's SO much cheaper than the canned beans, but you gotta do a little leg work).

4.5 oz can diced green chiles (on this, it really gives it a KICK! .... if you don't like things too warm/spicy, maybe use just half of the can and find another use ... maybe making chile cornbread?)

cumin

Basically follow the cooking instructions of THE RECIPE. If you can't find the frozen veggie medley, I might add about 2 cloves of garlic in the meat just before you add the veggies.

Also, I did have to add about an extra cup of water.

Wow, lots of text in this post. Sorry troopers! It's a really tasty recipe, though. So I thought I'd share.

If I get my act together, I have photos from a few showers to share, as well as general stuff.

No comments: