Friday, June 27, 2008

Sharing....

I'm around Erik's house a LOT more these days .... and we're sharing a lot more personal space. For example, I have an office space in his basement (where the bulk of his TV watching transpires).

The shared space isn't really a big deal, but the strangest moment for me came when Erik added a favorites folder onto my computer. Well, technically it's "our" computer since it sleeps in Erik's basement and I work on it during the day. But still, it was odd ... I've never shared computer space with a significant other before. Sort of a strange space sharing that I would have never considered.

For you married couples out there, what was the strangest "shared" space/item for you after you were married? Should I be prepared for anything else? (We've already combined kitchens and closets, which worked out fine). Leave your answer in the comment section!

6 comments:

Joseph said...

For me, the computer thing was, and still is a big deal, especially as Erin has become more computer savvy and has a lot of her "own stuff".

She had her own for a good while, but since her MacBook died, we've been having to share. I'm looking forward to getting a new machine for her in a couple of months!

Erin said...

Something we tried sharing when we were first married and pretty quickly stopped sharing was a blanket at night. We rarely have the same temperature needs (having spent about 2 years and three months of our 6 married years pregnant) and does a weird/cute cocooning thing at night. It just works better this way. Food for thought ;)

erik bonar said...

LOL! ... I'm guessing the blanket thing has already been decided. Not only does Karen wrap herself up like an egg roll, she also has to have a minimum of FOUR pillows for a good nights sleep.

I'll bet the cat and I will have to fight for the remaining 3 1/2 square feet of bed space.

Erin said...

If she already uses four pillows, watch out! She'll add at least two while she is gestating ;)

pianomanda said...

Ya know, it's funny - Peter and Shanda (married this April) were over a week ago for dinner and were talking about their battles with the thermostat. Vince and I have completely different body temperatures (I'm always cold... even my skin - to the touch - and he's always hot) but that helps at night! I cool him off with my icicle toes and he warms me up with his radiator skin.

However, we honestly cannot think of anything that we went back-&-forth on much. I know there were (and still are) little things... but they're never addressed with more than just an "I love you honey, but, could you please not...?" once or twice. The other party always "fixes" it, I guess. And neither one of us are bothered too much.

Is there something wrong with us? ;)

Unknown said...

'Manda! Maybe you should have your thyroid checked? Thyroid pills make my internal thermostat SO much more "normal" ;-)

We turned on our AC for about 24 hours, but it's off again ... we're both pretty tolerant of warmer summer weather ... the wineter, however, is a different story. Erik will have to get used to sleeping with a heated mattress pad! :-)