The other night, Erik and I rented "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas."
Wow.Seriously.Powerful.
SUMMARY: An 8-year-old boy (son of an officer) befriends a boy in a concentration camp. Riveting story about the friendship between these two boys. The thing that struck me about this was the INNOCENCE of the main character. Seriously. You are seeing the Holocaust unfold from a completely innocent perspective.
You can head over to your nearest RedBox and pick it up. Oh, and because I love pinching pennies, keep an eye HERE for a free promo code to get a RedBox rental. :)
DISCLAIMER: This movie really hit me like a ton of bricks. If you have kids, especially little ones, it might be awfully hard to watch.
An oldie but goodie is The Scarlet and the Black.
An Irish priest heads up an organization to hide escaped prisoners in Rome.
Life is Beautiful is a STUNNING Italian movie (read: there will be subtitles) about a father/son who are in a concentration camp. The dad tells his son it's a game to make the experience less horrific for him.
I LOVE this movie!!!!!
Lastly, I'll talk about The Pianist. It's about a pianist and is just haunting .... there are LARGE portions of this movie w/o dialogue, but they're just SO POWERFUL.
2 comments:
You didn't include Schindler's List, but then I suppose everyone's pretty much seen that anyway.
You're right, Life is Beautiful is much better in the original Italian with subtitles. I've seen a dubbed English version and it doesn't have the same impact. There is also a shortened version which is awful.
I was originally going to include it, Doug, but we haven't watched it recently. All of these we've seen in the last 4-6 months. :)
Yeah, watching mouths move in Italian and hear voices in English makes my head hurt. Besides, you'd lose SO MUCH w/ the awesome main character! :)
Post a Comment