Hmm. A local restaurant makes these rice bowls with beans, so I decided to give it a go.
I took leftover brown rice (about 1 c. cooked) and added in some leftover black beans (probably 3/4 c. cooked). Just mixed them together.
Then added about 1/2 tsp. cumin and a little salt to taste. Oh, and a sprinkle of dried parsley for color.
I added a bit of shredded cheese and melted it in the microwave ... done.
Sounds a bit odd, but it was actually pretty tasty.
Now I'm thinking of what other sorts of variations I could do on this. I already use brown rice, but I could switch things up with Jasmine Rice.
Also, I'm wondering how diced cooked sweet potatoes with chicken would be.
Erik said he'd like to see an option with corn.
I think the nice thing about this is I'll be able to make a huge amount of rice in the rice cooker, have a big amount of beans, so just re-heat those items, then only cook the items I'll add extra onto this.
So we'll see where this takes us ... how about you .... any ideas?
5 comments:
first off, reading this was just crazy, as that is almost exactly what I had for lunch today. weird. Secondly, can I say that every time I open your blog I smile at the picture on the top. It is just too great! Thirdly, do I have a recipe for you and the hubs... It's got sweet potato and beans AND corn(bread) I'll find it send it to you here in a bit!
1) crazy times!
2) Erik insisted on that photo. :)
3) I can hardly wait!!!!! :)
wow, that was easy - found it online: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Sweet-Potato-Chili-Bake
except my recipe called for olive oil (probably because it wasn't "brought to you by crisco")
I also subbed bisquik b/c I'm not eating corn/corn products right now b/c of some stomach issues, but still it was FABULOUS!! I have made it multiple times already. I highly recommend it with a dollop of sour cream on top. It is ridiculously good that way!
I love this idea, because I like to make things in big batches so I can save them for lunches and dinners when I'm at work. My problem is, though, I get bored with something before I finish the whole batch. Freezing some of it helps. I know you can freeze beans, but how about rice? Or what other ways do you have to beat the blahs about big batches of food?
baked sweet potato topped with seasoned black beans...TO DIE FOR
Post a Comment