Thursday, December 23, 2010

The secret to silky hummus

Last night I was in a dizzy tizzy, trying to not freak out too much. I REALLY wanted to get to bed early, but no such luck. One of the reasons was I was making hummus.

I don't want to brag, but I get a lot of compliments on my hummus. Which got me to thinking about it. What did people like so much about it? I think it's the texture. Which is interesting, because the last time I made hummus, I was in a bit of a hurry and wasn't completely satisfied with the results.

So here's my secret: I use the dry beans and of course soak over night. Then on the cooking ... the recipe says about 1.5 hours, but I don't think it's quite long enough. Last night, I cooked my chickpeas for a little over 3 hours. No joke! But the result was silky divinity! Of course, you have to keep adding water as it cooks. But the results were sensational!

Oh, and about yesterday's crazy list. I've decided since it's just a few days until Christmas and I haven't put out the Nativity set, it's just staying in the box this year. I am a lazy bones about putting them away, so the Advent wreath will have to do. Besides, we got a new painting of the holy family in the Nativity scene, so it's represented in some way.

No comments: