So, last night, I was praying the Joyful Mysteries in preparation for Advent. Anyone else love Fr. Peyton's Rosary Book? Mine's hidden away somewhere, but I like applying the principles to my rosary time.
My chain of thought started with Mary doing something she probably didn't want to do. I'm pretty sure she didn't plan to be a mother. Didn't plan to marry Joseph ... just go down the list. But she DID those things. And she probably did them joyfully. With cheer. Hmmmmm....I don't always react that way when I'm doing something I don't want to do.
THEN I got to thinking, 'How did she know she was supposed to do all these things?' ... and it came to me: "She was steeped in prayer."
We are preparing for Advent, and it's a good time to be steeped in prayer. I have to admit, that's one area of my life that's been slacking/lacking lately, and a new liturgical season is always a good excuse to start over.
So, friends, I'm asking YOU .... how do you "steep yourself in prayer" for Advent .... I'm looking for some good and practical suggestions here .... leave a comment!!!!!!
4 comments:
Making a Spiritual Communion frequently through-out the day is such a nice way to "steep yourself" in prayer and all things "Christ". I go in spurts, as you say, where I do better and then not so good. If you would like some of the Spiritual Communion prayers I have I can FB message or email them to you.
Recently in Confession a priest gave me the penance of meditating daily for 10 minutes on how I can improve a vice I often struggle with. No books, no helps, just sit and meditate, ponder and pray. It has been amazing to me, after just a week, how beneficial this has been.
PRAYERS!
I am going to attend an Advent study session this year -- it starts on Monday at St. I's! I will keep you updated. I agree, I don't think I give enough prayer time to this season.
I like to turn the car radio off on my way to work in the mornings sometimes and pray instead of listening to political news or music. ORRRRR, I listen to a local Christian station and find things in the lyrics of the songs to think/pray about all day long.
So advent already started but. . . I'm pumped to come up with something I am really thankful for every day. I'm also trying to get back into the Liturgy of the Hours but I am struggling to find times to fit it into the schedule (because trying to do it when the kids think they NEED attention or food or what-not is just not working). Hmmm. . . there was something else but it has slipped my mind now. Oh well, I bet you have things well in hand by now :)
Post a Comment