Alrighty, per my friend, Mary's, request, here's the "recipe" for the red sauce I made this week.
Let me start by saying I wanted to make lasagna. OK, but most of the jarred sauce has added sugar. So I decided to make my own (honestly, the noodles are "probably" a no-no, but I need some variety on my plate, so I can deal with this).
I'm a "toss it all into the pot" kind of cook, so here goes.
3 cans tomato paste
6-8 cans water (more if you like it watery, less if you like it thick/chunky)
2 tsp. parsley
2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp garlic powder
1/4 c. olive oil
1/2 to 1 c. cheap red wine
(if you have a can or two of crushed tomatoes, you could add those, too. I didn't have any, so I didn't add them)
Toss into a pot and stir. Honestly, I was throwing flavors in ... so the "2 Tbsp onion powder" is just a guess. I couldn't taste the flavor too much, but Erik said he really liked it. I'd start with a little, taste and keep adding to suit your taste buds. :)
Of course, then made "traditional" lasagna. Add meat or not.
This recipe makes A LOT of sauce .... so I have a jar in the fridge for spaghetti in the near future and another jar in the freezer for the distant future when I don't feel like/have time to cook. Now, if I could find the time to make some meatballs, we'd be golden.
1 comment:
Thank you, Karen!! Looks yummy. Next time I find some energy (or buy some with caffine), I'll have to try it! :)
Post a Comment